Children and Social Services

We are leading family lawyers in Exeter. Our children law solicitors specialise in representing families where there is social services involvement with children. We can also advise you on options for funding your case, including legal aid for care proceedings.

  • Are social services involved due to concerns about your children?
  • Have you been asked to attend a Child Protection meeting or a Public Law Outline meeting?
  • Has the local authority started care proceedings?
  • Are you a potential carer for children who are not your own?

Our highly experienced children law solicitors can provide legal advice to anybody where there is social services involvement with children in the family, including parents, grandparents, siblings or extended family members. 

If you have parental responsibility for a child and the local authority has started the Public Law Outline process or made an application to court in respect of your children, you will be automatically eligible for care proceedings legal aid. This means that seeing a solicitor about your situation is free.

A named children law solicitor will deal with your case from start to finish. You will be given clear and focused advice throughout your case, including guidance about your position. We will keep you fully informed about each stage and any outcomes.

To make an enquiry or book an appointment, please contact Mark Fairchild, Family Team Administrator. 

Your service was excellent. Penny Scott was excellent, interested in our case, professional, proactive, considerate, reasonable. This was very much appreciated, and helped enormously. Thank you to Penny and all the team.

Parental Responsibility

The Local Authority and Children

Care Orders and Supervision Orders


Special Guardianship Orders

The team
Heidi Davey
Heidi Davey

Graduate Member of the Chartered Institue of Legal Executives

Mark Fairchild
Mark Fairchild


Nicky Mein
Nicky Mein

Managing Partner and Solicitor

Penny Scott
Penny Scott

Partner and Solicitor

More Information

Meet the Team: Clare Philbrock

"A solicitor should advise you about the strengths and weaknesses of your case and help you to see the situation from the other party's point of view."Clare Philbrock - Consultant Solicitor Telephone: 01392 286767Email: Name: Clare...

read more
Meet the Team: Hannah Quick

"My advice for anyone considering a career in law is to try and gain experience in the areas you are interested in – each area of law is very different."Hannah Quick - Family Law Solicitor Telephone: 01392 286761Email: Name: Hannah...

read more
Your FAQs Answered: Care Proceedings

What are care proceedings? If a Local Authority decides that they need to take action to keep a child safe, they will apply for a court order. This process is known as care proceedings. What are pre-proceedings?  A Local Authority will enter into pre-proceedings...

read more
Christmas child arrangements: a guide for separated parents

Having dealt with many family matters over the years, especially those involving children, we know that the festive season can be an emotional time. If conflict over Christmas child arrangements arises, this magical time for parent’s and their children can turn sour....

read more